Syria is an old country also known as “Shaam” in Arabic. This country is situated in western Asia, sharing borders with Israel, Lebanon, Turkey, and Iraq. Some of the parts of Syria touches to the Mediterranean Sea. Its population is mostly Muslims whereas Christians and Jews also enjoy their share in the country. Syria has been a trading hub for over last 1500 years.
From the religious point of view, Syria enjoys special significance among the Muslims. It has been home for many prophets and there are many of Prophets and other valuable personalities buried in this region. In today’s article, we will discuss about Ziarats in Syria. If you are traveling to Syria don’t forget Al Sahlah Travel and Tours. They have great experience in taking groups to Syira. Coming back to the article let’s discuss some important Ziarats in Syria.
Shrine of Bibi Zainab sa
Bibi Zainab or Lady Zainab sa, is prominent figure in Islam. Born Medina in the house of Imam Ali(as) and Bibi Fatima(sa). After the tragedy of Karbala, Bibi Zainab sa returned to Medina later came to the land of Syria where her husband had some property and business. Bibi Zainab sa spent her rest of the life and passed away. She was buried in the area of Damascus. Hundreds and thousands of Zaireen visit the holy shrine of Bibi Zainab sa every year.
Bab al-Saghir is one of the seven gates referring to the old city of Damascus. Bab al-Saghir is also known as “Goristan-e-Ghareeban”. It has a large number of graves on either side of the roads. Many prominent figures from history are being buried there.
Some notables are mentioned below:
- Umm Kulsoom, the daughter of Imam Ali(as) and Bibi Fatimah(sa)
- Bilal al-Habashi, the Mu’adhin of Prophet Muhammad (saww)
- Fatimah as-Sughra, daughter of Imam Hussain ibn Ali (as)
- Bibi Fizza, the maid of Bibi Fatimah(as)
- Abdullah, son of the Fourth Imam, Ali Zain-ul ‘Aabideen (as)
- Maymunah, daughter of the Second Imam Hassan al-Mujtaba (as)
- Asma, wife of Ja’far at-Tayyaar (ra)
- Hameedah, daughter of Muslim ibn Aqeel (ra)
- Kamaid bin Aswad al-Kindi, companion of Imam Ali (as)
- Obay ibn Ka’b, husband of Halimah the wet nurse of Prophet Muhammad (saww)
- Abdullah bin Umm Maktoum, Mu’adhin
Some historians say that 16 heads of martyrs of Karbala are also buried at Bab al-Saghir. Some names are mentioned below.
- Ali Abbas ibn Ali (as)
- Ali Akbar ibn Hussain (as)
- Al-Qasim ibn Hassan (as)
- Hurr ibn Yazid al-Riyahi (as)
- Habib ibn Muzahir (as)
Prison of Syria
During the rule of Yazid, the captives were kept in prison which is commonly known as “Zindan e Shaam” in Persian or Urdu language. After the battle of Karbala, family of Imam Hussain as including all women and children along with Imam Zain ul Abideen as were arrested and were brought to Syria. They were all kept in the prison. This place can be visited by walking through Souk Hamidiyya (Hamidiyya Bazaar). This prison holds some important sites which are mentioned below.
- Mausoleum of Sakina (sa): daughter of Imam Hussain (as)
- Pulpit (minbar) of Imam Zain-ul Abideen (as)
- Niche (mihrab) where Imam Zain-ul Abideen (as) used to say his prayers
- Place where Imam Zain-ul Abideen (as) prayed when he went to take the head of Imam Hussain (as)
Halab is one of the oldest cities in Syria. Today it is known as “Aleppo”. Famous Al-Nuqtah Mosque is present in this city. This mosque is also known as Mosque of blood drop. It contains the stone said to be marked by the drop of Imam Hussain’s as blood. The site is believed to have previously been a monastery, which was converted into a mosque in 944.
The Umayyad mosque is present at some distance from the prison. There are many events in history related to this mosque. Imam Zain ul Abideen as delivered his sermon here when he was kept captive under Yazid rule. Prophet Yahya as, who is the son of another prophet i.e. Prophet Zakariya as is buried inside the mosque.
Maqam Ra’sul Hussain as, is present in the mosque. It is said that the head of Imam Hussain as is buried at this spot.
Salera is a hill place in Syria. It is famous for the cave where Ashaab e Kahf is said to be sleeping according to Allah’s will. Some important site present at Salera is mentioned below.
- Masjid Sulayman
- Small Masjid
- Footprint of Imam Ali, peace be upon him
- Sermon (khutba) writtten by Imam Ali [a] on stone with his finger
Syira is a great country to be visited according to the religious point of view. Everyone who can travel should at least visit Syria once in his or her life. They will find it adventurous as well as informative. Do visit Syria and explore the Ziarats in Syria